Most Important Keywords for the Hotels & Resorts Industry
By our guest blogger, CareerTuners
Is your resume getting noticed? Recruiters and employers in the hotels & resorts industry rely heavily on Application Tracking System (ATS) software to analyze resumes and shortlist applicants. One critical way to optimize your resume for ATS is to add keywords.
Keywords are nouns or noun phrases that ATS algorithms “catch.” They help indicate to employers that the candidate has skills that match the job requirements. Common keywords include job titles, terms, tools, technologies, degrees, licenses, certifications, training, patents, publications, and locations.
There are two types of keywords. Hard keywords are those that can be quantified or that someone can take a test for, for example, the names of marketing analytics programs. They are the most important with respect to ranking in ATS. In contrast, soft keywords are abstract skills that are hard to test for, but are critical to succeeding at your job, e.g., strong interpersonal skills.
Below are some important keywords for hotels & resorts management positions, in bold.
Feel free to copy and paste these terms to your resume if they match your skill set.
However, merely mentioning these keywords in your resume is not enough. You must also write powerful accomplishments that highlight these skills. After each keyword are the most critical questions you should ask yourself before incorporating it into your resume:
Day-to-Day Operation Management
- Multi-Unit Operations: How did you lead effective operations of all units (restaurants, casinos, and resorts)?
- Front-Desk & Back-Office Operations: How did you ensure seamless front-desk operations to reduce customer wait time? What back-office software did you implement to integrate all back-office operations?
- Resort & Club Management: What steps did you take to ensure a world-class resort experience? How did you differentiate your resort from similar competitor facilities?
- Banquet Operations & Catering: What steps did you take to ensure efficient and quick service delivery?
- Budget & P&L Management: What steps did you take to reduce costs and create new revenue streams?
- Event Coordination: What challenges did you face in organizing immersive experiences for special events?
- Vendor Management: Did you introduce any software solutions to streamline vendor management?
- Regulatory Compliance: What challenges did you face in increasing regulatory compliance?
- Workflow Management: What steps did you take to improve workflow management and operational efficiency? Which reporting mechanisms did you develop to increase visibility and accountability?
- Customer Service & Guest Retention: What steps did you take to generate repeat business?
- Staff Training & Development: What employee onboarding, training, and recognition programs did you introduce? What steps did you take to boost low employee morale?
- Human Resource Management: What steps did you take to decrease high turnover? What measures did you take to eliminate workplace harassment?
Food & Beverage Management
- Menu Planning & Pricing: What steps did you take to develop cost-effective menus while ensuring best-quality food?
- Portion Control: What tools did you use to create cost-effective food portions?
- Food and Beverage Operations: What steps did you take to ensure food safety and sustainability? What challenges did you address in leading the development of new recipes and products?
- Revenue Projections: What tools and metrics did you use to create revenue and sales forecasts?
- Accounting: What steps did you take to reduce outstanding receivables?
- Revenue Generation: Did you introduce any new services to generate new revenue streams?
- Cost Reduction: Did you automate or simplify any operational procedures to reduce costs?
- Housekeeping: How did you ensure best-in-class housekeeping operations?
- Hospitality Management: What steps did you take to create a warm and welcoming environment for guests?
- Inventory Planning: How did you ensure inventory safety and health?
- Hospitality Marketing: What innovative marketing strategies did you develop to expand the brand outreach?
- Business Development: Did you create any industry partnerships to increase the customer base?
- Competitive Analysis: How did you strategize business growth as a result of competitive analysis?
In addition to these, consider carefully going over the job listing you are interested in for keywords. Which ones are you familiar with? Weave these keywords into your resume.
By asking yourself these questions, you will be able to uncover accomplishments that highlight your strategic leadership skills. This will not only optimize your resume for ATS-compatibility but also set you apart from other applicants.
At CareerTuners, we help ambitious professionals land their dream jobs by providing professional, Applicant-Tracking-System-compatible resume writing services. Some of our other services include cover letter writing, LinkedIn profile development, interview coaching, and resume distribution. To check out our free resources and blog, please visit careertuners.com.
Bristol Associates, Inc. is an executive search firm with over 50 years of excellence in recruiting nationwide. Bristol specializes in recruiting for the Casino Gaming; Facilities and Concessions; Food and Beverage Manufacturing; Hospital and Healthcare; Hotels and Resorts; Nonprofit; Restaurant; and Travel, Tourism, and Attractions industries.
Subscribe to our monthly newsletter here.